The Walter Benjamin Kolleg is committed to sustainable development in research, teaching and administration:
- It conducts inter- and transdisciplinary research that contributes substantially to shaping sustainable development, especially in a cultural perspective: For example, in the Center for Global Studies, in the Digital Humanities, or in the Faculty's research platforms on the ecological imperative, palm oil production or the relationship between urban and rural spaces.
- In teaching, the two master's programs in Provenance Research and Editorial Studies are intrinsically linked to sustainability. In addition, our courses in other study programs of the Faculty of Humanities as well as courses offered by the Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences and the Faculty of Science and the Centre for Development and Environment enable our students to respond appropriately to the challenges of sustainable development.
The assistant professorship Digital Humanities collaborates with the team Education for Sustainable Development of the University to integrate this interdisciplinary topic not only into its own curriculum, but also into that of the entire Faculty of Humanities adequately and sustainably.
- In its administration, the Kolleg uses ecological, economic and social resources carefully.
- The third Sustainability Day of the three Bernese universities will take place on 5 November 2021 and will be held under the motto "The future is now!" Register!
- Promotion of sustainable development in teaching (FNE): Lecturers who would like to integrate sustainability into their teaching can now apply for FNE project funding (next submission deadline: end of February 2022).
- Further education in the field of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD): In spring 2022, the further education module "Think global, teach local" of the university didactics will take place, in which teachers can deal with their disciplinary interfaces to sustainable development and learn about central aspects of good university teaching.
Sustainability at the University of Bern